Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rosh Hashana DInner, and the HORROR of the trip back home


we start the year with a wonderful dinner....which always starts with chopped liver, and a plate of CHEese....already not kosher, but who cares...it tastes great.. I was a bit late for dinner. The traffic was unreal. I went on 17, bumber to bumper, then on to rout 80, worse,,,then i got off and went thru the streets and got back on the GARDEN STATE PARKWAY.....bumper to bumper..what should have taken 35 minutes took...hour and 15.
The people were gathered....and then,,,came the guefelte fish, the salad and the chicken soup with soft wonderful matzo balls....followed by brisket, potaotes and gravy, casserole of french string beans in mushroom soup topped with onion rings...My neice made a very delicious sweet noodle kugel,there were carrots and peas, a stew of sweet potatoes and carrots and prunes called a tzimmes....stuffing without a chicken, and on and on....I stopped eating when my stomach hurt. There was wine....but i didnt have any... then the deserts...cakes, and a jello mold that was too pretty to eat..hopefully i can show you this if the phots come out...and i saew my grand nephew...for the seocnd time..a real cutey.....
theonly complaining was that there was too much food an everyone had pressure in their stomach.......every one behaved...no bickering....or yelling...or political discusions....... just nice lite talk....
BUt on the way home...things took a turn for the worse...once i got on 280 South...there was no way off.. All exits were closed...and there were no warnings...no detour signs....I couldnt get on to the GARDEN STATE Parkway home....I had to stay on that shitty hiway......and suddenly....with no signs...I was in horrible downtown NEWARK!!! drove around till I was aboe to cross the river....then I was in HARRISON.......and followed the river.....till I got to NORTH ARLINGTON.....found a bridge to cross back, found route 21 north......got to PASSAIC, then CLIFTON,,,,then to 46 and then to the GSP.....and eventually back to HOHOKUS.. What should have taken 30 min at night took an hour and half....and it was a bit nervwracking and scary.

No comments: