Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passover, Steven Speilberg,Elton John's stage manager

Passover came and went, at least the first night of it... Now My family never was very religous....except my fathers mother, Granma IDA...who was a very simple woman, a RUssian Peasant from MINSK, who never really learned to speak English,,,and only communicated with her grandchildren with the language of love...COOKING. She would make the best gifilte fish..a homade delicasy that takes an awful amount of time an patience.....She made a big TZIMIS, a dig with sweet potaotes, prunes, honey and other things.....(today that word, translated into ENGLISh means to make a big Fuss or Deal over something" She would make the best chicken soup and matzo balls... the best chopped liver, Fresh baked Challah bread... and with those foods, (brisket too) she communicated with me and my sister... Our smiles made her happy, knowing she made us happy.
Last night My sister also communitedcated with delicious chicken soup,chopped liver and deviled eggs, all kinds of veggies: baked and seet potaotes, brisket with stewed potaotes, asparagus,peas and carrots, a healthy salad, Matzoe kugel...which is a stuffing like dish, made from broken pieces of matzo, onions, eggs, spices, etc and then baked....and there was more.....there was far too much food, plenty of wine, plenty of imported matozs,,,,,,and of course big hunks of gifilte fish...and horseradish. By the time dessert came along.....everyone was filled..to the point of loosening the belts and groaning and moaning..
But it didnt stop there. OK, we are not KOsher...so when they brought out the fresh beaten whipped cream, sliced stawberries..to put of the KOSHER Sponge cake and HOney cake..no one complained....they just attacked the sweets......and then came the fresh other fruits...and candies...and nuts, and raisns........

I was invited by wonderful customers of mine, qho are very relgious and kind people to attend the Second Night Seder... But she said she woudl call me as to what time to come. The call never came. and I didnt go, although, I had never been to a real Seder in a religous household and I was looking forward to it...not as a religous experience, but as a cultural one. I did spent last PURIM (a year ago) with them and had a wonderful time...and experience the joy that they did, although, my belief system, is much different that theirs, I holeheartedly agree with the concept of family and tradition...which does hold society together.
Our family that is left, do the same thing,but on a different scale. Its family and tradition, minus the heavy religous belief.......AMEN!

I attened a birthday party last week and met a wonderfu young teacher from BROWN University in Rhode Island. She was talking about her students...when she started mentioning that Steven SPeilbergs daughter is in her class...and that she is not a spoil brat..of a famous parent, but very kind and sweet...and unafected....and that she is more into POETRY, than into glamour and stardom....this is WHen my friend BAraba mentioned that I am a poet....I briefly talked about what I write about...and now, this teacher is going to give her...one of my books. MY ulterior motive...if she likes the first book I will send my other three. and if the stars, might be in the right position, i can get her to read my novel which my dream is to have a movie made....and her DADDY would certainly be the right guy to do it....

A customer came in today and reinspected a round oak table that he had seen here before....I should him a few others...but explained that this was the best one, and ony a bit more than the others....No high pressure, not my style. Well, I asked him how he gets off to browse on A TUESDAY.....he said he words with a band.....OH, any one I ever heard of??? He laughed, paused...and said, I usually dont mention the band,,,,yes you have heard of it.,"he said. "ELTON JOHN"!!!!
WOW....really?, I retorted.. He is my hero. He has done more for AIDS, the GAy Community, and people in general than most others who are famous....HE IS YOUR HERO?????yes. He smiled and said, "I never would have thought it!!!"""""My GAydar must be broken."
I gave him one of my books, after reading him a few poems...and got a WOW from him too. I said, show the book to him and if he took one of my poerms and made msuic out of it..and the world would enjoy it, I wouldnt care...Its not about money...but sharing......he siad he is off to MEXICO CIty for the weekend..for a concert......and just got back from DUBAI...which is a magical place....(but I dont think JEWS go there.....
Tonight the boys and I worked somemore on my apartment adn the MAHWAH store...trying to empty it out.... there is a lot of moving and cleaning....its amazing how much stuff accumulates over 25 years.....found a letter from an old lover of 35 years ago.....when I had mention I was thinking about moving to SAN FRANCISCO then......and how the phrase"you have to make your own happiness"....was reread and was stinging me....like a bunch of bees.....but had I moved there...I wouldt have met all the wonderful people I know associated with, so as they say in HEBREW, is was "bershert", meant to be that I stayed here and built a business. So many of the people in California died of AIDS and other diseases...I am still here and kicking, and complainging, and kvetching, and laughing and smiling.....and enjoying life.

No comments: