Wednesday, October 7, 2009

44th Anniversary today

For the kid who never stuck to anything...or finished anything, there is no one more surprised that today is GRANNYS ATTIC's 44th ANniversary. When I started the store, it really was just as a storage place, in a 15x20ft tiny barber shop that sat 2 people. I figured it was one of those gimmick ideas that I had..and would last a few months, till I was able to get rid of all the stuff that I had collected to furnish an apartment, where ALan Seidmen and I threw parties. It was a cold water flat, dark and dismal, in a crummy but safe area of CLIFTON> We didnt live there, only partied there...until, our activities was teh casue celebre to have ous thrown out.
Al the Antiques and furnishings that I had amazed, either from garbage picking, Salvation army, or brought back form my apartment at college....needed to be stored, else where than my parents garage. There fore,I rented the tiny store, for what I thought was a month or two....and lasted for three years, until it was destroyed by a flood. By this time, the Antique business had infected my blood and brain; The complusion of both collecting art and antiques was strong. And I even Had made enough money in three years to put a small down payment on a house....a fixer upper,...so although the store was almost a total loss...with three city dump trucks filled with my losses....I opened up a much larger store down the street, and NEWER and Larger Grannys Attic was born in CLIFTON, to last 39 years.....
After 9 years, I quit teaching and became a full time schlepper. From knwoing absolutly nothing about art and antiques when I began, I became some kind of expert...in a wide variety of areas.. But I admit, I am not a super expert in any one area.... Like the DR, who specilizes in the right testicle (not the left) of a little known AMazonian Indian TRIBE....my expertize is spread over a wide variety of subject, not narrowed down to a PHD in any one thing.
I have traveled the world 40 times, buying and schleping and shipping antique to America. I have made friends all over the world. I have had an Apartment in Amsterdam(and never once smoked a join-even though its legal) although I would very deeply inhale and hold my breath many times...in rooms filed with medical quality smoke.
I have become a licensed auctioneer...an concept never ever dreamed about, not even for the first ten years of business. We created an auction which used to get turn away crowds and make lots of money.....We saw antique go from garbage prices, to oak furniture bringing in goldprices...then then fall again...sadly way down.
I have made a lot of freinds in the business..mostly with customers, yet I have one friend a dealer, Ken Saltzman...who I met in 1966.who is still a friend and dealer, who is calling it quits this year. I met him and his wife Patty, who is in heaven now...when they first got married. I witnessed the birth of their wonderful children (one girl a Dr and one a Lawyer) I saw them become grandparents....and saw him cry at her funeral. My trip in this business has been very interesting...and without it, I am sure my life would have been much more mundane and boring.
I met a customer, who became a lover.....the affair became almost tragic...including an overdose, where I thought death for this person was immenent...but luckily Survival was to be found...but eventually incarceration onand off for three years...and then with the aid of a customer, a very famous criminal lawyer....this person is out, and hopefully will return to college....and have a good life. The tragicness, the emotional rollercoaster was the inspiration for me to start writing poetry and philosophy...and I have now a large volumne over over 100 entires....most of which, I immodestly think is very good. I also had the fortune of being inspired to write a novel,which becuase of another customer...went to Randome HOUSE and they said they wouuld print it if I make it 140 pages longer.
My writing.....in petry and novels.... unlike these uncorrected blogs....are much more sophisticated.....and spelling, etc is better. I apologize for rushing..but rush I much, for with one tuchus, one cant dance at two weddings. (famous Latin Quote)..or was that Ancient Greek?
Well, I need a coffee now to jump start my motor for the day. IN my morning conclusion, I must add, the maybe the finest things coming out of my adventure in antique land, are the collections of friends and employees that surround me. Theiry loyalty is almost in bibical proportions.

No comments: