Tuesday, October 13, 2009

DomPerignon...I was saving it for a special event

The special event was tonight. But not a romantic interlude, or to celebrate the publishing of my book, or winning the lottery, or finding a Picasso in an Attic. I opened the bottle because I am depressed. Business is awful and I cant figure out how to make it better. Advertising doesnt work. No one reads teh newspapers anymore, and even 48 2 minute spots on channel 12 news.....didnt bring people into the auction....
People are driving me crazy.... People, ie customers or browsers..Yesterday one customer, who had a credit, found the perfect piece she said..and she called up today to even cancel something...that she didnt pay for. She was very nice, sweet..but still drove me crazy....People price things...I give them a very good price, they bargain, a drop it more..and then..........they dont even respond. they walk out..They want things for free.. so tonight, I came to the apt very depressed. I do not have tranquilizers.....so I decided this was the evening to break open the Champagne... I am not a drinker either, but.....tonight, I would drink the best Champagne ....
I was apprehensive opening the bottle.I was afraid it would explode, becuase I dropped it. I untwisted the wire that holds the cork in place. I twisted the top,expecting it to shoot with pressure..But nothing. It was flat!!! Hardly any bubbles...What let down.....

I am depressed. Seems like the 44 years of success in the business mayb becoming to an end. But I have overcome bad times before. I have to calm down, so I can think clearly and try to turn adveristy into success again. There are different time. I have been blaming myself, but most of the antique stores already have gone underm, all over the world. The amount of people who want them has diminished...and the amount of antiques available to buy has diminished.. Less stuff, less people....and styles have changed. Young people want different things these days. What is antique to young people now, is 1940,50 and 60's DANISH modern is antique to them. Lucite is antique top them. And to make things worse, EBAY is a great competitor. The antique road show makes every little old lady thing her old panties are rare antiques and valuable. I am surprised these old ladies dont put a price tag on their ass.
I think the only mistake that I have made was not to drop prices earlier...and try to do more volume...but its hard to change old ways ....hard to accept certian things have become valueless.....for example Hummels..that were 200. not people want them for 40.00, Christmas Plates from Denmark that were 45 to 75....are down to ten dollars,school clocks that were 150 dollars in 1966-70 are now 75-100, No one seems to want Grandfather clocks anymore..Roll top desks, which were the ultimate treasures...hardly sell because, you cant use them with computers.....The entire oak phenomena is over....most people dont want oak anymore....simple oak dressers bring in nothing like 100...which means, we cannt send anything out to be refinished......
On the other hand, certain items go crazy.....like a brass dust pan, that came out of a Light House....and it was stamped with the naem of the light house....well, i put it on EBAY for 45.00 and it hit over 1000......go figure...

Recipe.....More ideas with the SALSA con QUESO. Cheese salsa wih Jalapenas... Macaroni and cheese.... ala MExicana...

Cook the macaronis....drain. Toss with a little bit of sour cream, pour on the salsa with cheese, add a table spoon of chopped jalapena,(optional) a sprinkle of garlic powder, few tablespoons of very fine chopped parsely, toss well,cover with either Mexican Salsa, or thick PASTA sauce..chuncky is best. Optional additions chopped well cooked bacon(crunchy, or sausaage, or sliced meatballs.. you can always ad some olives,capers,water chestnuts, fresh tomatoe, or anything else you might want to try...bake in oven till it all bubbles up. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.

No comments: