Tuesday, April 20, 2010

lIFE AND dEATH IN THE fAST lane

We took on consignment today, the contents of a home, of a businesswoman, who passed away a few months ago. Her Lawyer contacted me and we worked out a consignment arrangement.....It seemed, the woman never married....and the lawyer pointed out several times, that she wasnt very good looking and never married....to which I replied, I have seen many people, who were not good looking and theymanaged to get good looking spouses...because their beauty was inner beauty...and personality and charm.....I dont think the lawyer understood!!
The woman lived very modestly.....nothing in her home was exceptionally pretty, or deocrated nicely.....no fancy gadgets, or large TV, or modern furniture..(nor antique either)...no art work...except photos that were framed, and some owl sketches...and 100 owl knic nacs...and 75 Hummels.....(Hitler Youth) I call them...
Her Passion was the Opera....and the lawyer told me she left a MILLION DOLLARS to the Metropolitan Opera HOUSE......guess she really loved the OPERA...she had a passion for something,,,and her went to the OPERA, only a week before she passed away.....it was good to hear that she lived right up to the end of her life....I saw from Photos, that she traveled quite a bit....and even traveled to CHINA..which is something,,,i would love to do.....and still might.......
When we get an estate like this, there is an EMotional cost to me....I search around the house....look at photos, analyze things that she colelcted and left as clues as to what she might have been like. In the attic, a very dust laden place, with poor light....I looked in boxes that she save.....and wondered why she saved some things that could never be used...like hundreds of rubber bands, piles of old wallpaper books....and letters and bills going back to 1918, when her parents owned a business in the area.....The attic had been trashed by her relatives looking for the goose that laid the golden egg; the LAwyer said she had sold some coins, and jewerly, but there was probably much more....The attic was in shambles....and i thought, how said...this is what is left of her life...
On a lighter side, I was facing inwards into a huge closet..I found a wig...that reminded me of one that I used to wear years ago....I put it on quickly.....and Juan didnt see what I was doing.. WHen I turned around, he was starign right at me, and laughe so hard, he almost fell down the stairs......he then took a bunch of photos...that I am thinking about putting on here.....

No comments: