Wednesday, September 30, 2009

FLASH BACK TO MY TEACHING PAST

TODAY, THE SADDLE RIVER DAY SCHOOL HAS AN OUTING...A FIELD TRIP TO GRANNYS ATTIC....THE PURPOSE WAS TO GET INSPIRATION TO WRITE A NON FICTION STORY, OR TO USE THE ANTIQUES TO TRIGGER MEMORIES FROM THEIR OWN PAST...TO WRITE A STORY BASED ON REALITY FROM THEIR PAST.
I HAD ARRANGED WITH THEIR TEACHER, A FEW WEEKS AGO, FOR A BUS LOAD OF 12TH GRADERS. I ARRIVED 30 SECONDS BEHIND THEIR BUS..BECAUSE OF A TIE UP ON RT 17, I WAS ABLE TO GET INTO THE BUILDING AND TURN ON THE LIGHTS BEFORE THEY GOT OFF THE BUS.
I HAD EDDIE QUICKLY BRING OUT SODAS, WATER AND COOKIES... A GESTURE TO MAKE THEM FEEL WELCOME AND AT HOME.....AND STRANGELY ENOUGH, THEY WERE ALL IN VERY HEALTHY STATE...NONE WERE TO LEAN OR OVER WEIGHT.
THEIR TEACHER INTRODUCED ME.....AND I INVITED THEM TO SIT WON ON A PILE OF PERSIAN RUGS...OR ON CHAIRS SET OUT AROUND THEM. AND SUDDENLY, I felt like I was a teacher again, talking to my students....... I explained that all these old tings, hold memories...sad and happy......for a hundred years... a was a bit dramamtic, but they all listened. I told them to feel free to touch..feel, items an even close their eyes and feel their vibrations.. I invited them to ask em any questions about any of the items....i would bemore than happy to share with them, and knopwledge that I have...and I briefly mentioned the concept of artistic ability and sharing..
The kids browsed arounda dn many of them cme to me and we talked...It was a warm wonderful feeling....and It was a flashback in time, to when I really enjoyed life, enjoyed my job, and felt very useful to others....
One kid priced and oil painting and paid me 400 dollars on a credit card. Another kid bought a baseball glove, and three others bought old life magazine and a glass.
In a way, the hour was almost dream like, and the emotions bittersweet.

No comments: