Tuesday, February 3, 2009

mydayoff

Mike and I went to a trade show in Edison NJ....The Expo Center at Raritan Center host two each year, and as time races towards the future, the show seems to get smaller in size,and tackier in merchandise.
I am so sorry that I didnt take my camera, because words cannot adequetly describe some of the items we saw, and got hysterical over. The first is a granfather click in white resin. It was decorated with 18" women in flowing day glow ping gowns, lipstick far too red, yellow flowers in their hair, there were other flowers, animals, ribbons and bows, in reds,yellows pinks, two different shades of blue, and all had gold high lites. There was a fountain, in ceramic, with water flowing over a pair of people, painted similarly to the clock, It was on a pedastal,,,,,then from the back of the fountain, two brass branches with leaves terminated about 18inches about the fountain with flowered shades....One of the tacky-est things I have ever see....then there was a 36"elephant with horrible detials painted in cream and brown....and it wasnt cute...an ugly elephant with a bouquet of ceramic flowers coming out of his back....The enitre show didnt haveanything that wasnt low end horrible art work, lamps, ......next show I am going to bring a video camera....for an award wining short.
But what was beautiful was the international flavor of the participants....There were enough HAssidics to form a synagoge, while simultaneousl, Muslims, unrolled prayers rugs, and moved into corners of booths....and bent down to pray...I wonder how they could even figure out what direction MECCA was, when I couldnt figure out how to get out of the area. There were all kinds of ASIANS, Chinese and Koreans mostly, Orthodox and Hassidic Jews, Pakistanis, Indians,Egyptians, Indonesians,MOrroccons,many Latinos from all over the South of the American Border...etcetc....The beauty was that in this forum, everyone gets along.......a beauty that most people didnt go to see....and I hope, that it was noticed and appreciated by people other than me and MIKE. We did buy a few lamps and chandliers as the show closed.......but there was almost nothing there this time that I wanted for the store....there was only one dealer there that I knew from past shows, all the rest were gone. HOW SAD. I think the show was half the size of past years...
The highlite of the day was lunch. We went to Harolds NEW YORK DELI.....where everything is oversized and overpriced...Now if you go with a group of people of 4 or more, then it becomes more of a bargain......They do have the best pastrami and cornbeef in the world. The sandwhich that that mike and I had was 36 oz of meat. We ate ourselved unconscious and left over MORE than half. There is a picle bar that is free... you can have all the health salad, homemade saurkraut, pickled tomatoes, slicked pickle chips ,half sour pickles, kosher dills,and two other types of pickles,peppers, etc.......and a pile of rye bread. The sandwhich and two drinks and salads cost 40.00, but.....if there were 4 people, it still would only be a bit more for drinks..... A slice of cake there is enough for 4 people. A ball of chopped liver, is 19,95, but enough for at least 4 to 6 people. Everything is oversized, like the matzoball, big enough to go bowling.......
It was a good day to escape from the GRANNYS ATTIC PRISON....for there were almost no customers today.......the weather was lousy, but for me it was a fun day........Soon I will get back to my political, and other analysis, with my silly sense of humor......I am giving my brain a month off.....

No comments: