Sunday, December 20, 2009

SUNDAY-new recipes

I think most of the New Jerseyians were digging out today.....and didnt think of coming to Grannys Attic today......almost no one entered until after one or two in the afternoon.....and not very much happened....
I actually rested a bit, and stayed off my feet. The Day did start with my traditional SUNDAY toasted bagel with scallion cream cheese. The expected lox and bagel....is far to salty.
THe highlight of the day was my Sister,her husband and my neice and John took me to dinner.... I had wanted to go to the HOHOKUS Inn, which recently reopened after 6 months of renovation. The rumor had it, that they reopened as a family restuarant, and had reduced their prices. But upon logging on to their website, their menu didnt seem family freindly, except their hamburger... Everything is ala cart....not inexpensive, unless you compare it to one of the fancy French restuarants in NYC, where you need to apply for a mortgage for dinner. The menu seemed interesting for a person like me, who likes to adventure into new dining experiences....but to expose my family, not only into a large expense, but strange combinations of foods, with intimidating names in French and other languages.....where they would have to guess what in hell they were eating..woudlnt have been pleasant for them... And although, the dinner was for me...their pleasure would be part of my pleasure...and I didnt want the evening to be unpleasant for them. The only item, that didnt have strange names was"GOFFLE ROAD CHICKEN" named I am sure, after a chicken farm on Goffle ROad in RIdgewood>
So, we all went to the Sicilian SUN, whose food is always predictible and good. I will only mention something that I ordered that I never had their before. Polenta with pimento and Portobello mushrooms. A very simple recipe....but simplicty and deliciousness can go hand in hand. Boil polenta according to direction on the box, and to the consistency of oatmeal. Just ad salt, and pepper. NOTHING MORE! Then saute pimentos and sliced portobellow mushrooms in butter..... Serve the musrooms and pimenetos on top of the polenta... and that is all.
An alternative is to make a polenta in loaf form, a bit harder after it is baked. Before baking, add sauteed onions and mushrooms inside as well. After baking, and cooling slice it, and cover with the sauteed mushrooms and pimentos... I can also see you adding broccoli rabe that had been sautted with hole roasted garlic on top....
It is nice when family gets together to celebrate each others special days..

No comments: