Monday, December 21, 2009

Today was the equinox;shortest day of year, less light,inside and out.

THe shortest day of the year, the least light, and light has something to do with being bright eyes and bushy tailed....or depressed. As a merchant, can anyone blame me if i get depressed, when the malls are jammed, their parking lots filled, and the holiday season, sees our lot and store empty?
We did have one man dealer from CHINA today again, who didnt speak ENglish...he picked out a few items, but he wouldnt spring for anything.....and he was picking out rare items....
We had a few customers who,did a lot of schmoozing,,,,one really nice guy who styaed for half the afternoon, until his wife got here....and said their freind were the new owners of the HOHOKUS IN.....they then left for dinner. I invited RIch for dinner and by the time we got to the HOHOKUS INN, they were either upstairs or had left...which leads me to the high lite of the day. Dinner at the HOHOKUS IN. They just spent a fortune remodeled the entire building inside and out. They did an increidble job......it is luxurious, gorgeous, fabulous, high class..well done, yet they took some of the authenticness of the original Dutch Colonial Decor adn furniture....what I missed the most was an early 18th Century huge Govenor Winthrop desk.....
The INN had more employees than customers....I have never seen so many waiters, waitresses and bus boys and girls...Most of which were all young white people. One or two might have been Latino, I am not sure...The bus boys and girls were all very Ridgewood looking, many blond and Muffy Buffy Chad and Tad looking....All extrememly pleasant, polite and professional acting.
I thought we would just go for a hamburger....which was the least expensive item at 12.00, would be an excuse for visiting for the first time. I wasnt in the mood, nor hungry enough to spend 75 or 100 for each of us..on a MONDAY NIGHT. But when I saw the special soupd of the night...cream ouree of onion with roasted crouton with goat cheese for a mere $6.00. I just had to order it. Richy declined.......it was served in a very strange soup bowl....it had an indentation for soup about 5 inches and a rim about7"...it sort of reminded me of a hub cap. The soup was very tasty, as the crouton...the plate was warmed....actually hot...but the soup wasnt really hot enough.But delicious......and worth the 6bucks...
We both ordered the hamburder...but when i realized you can get half an order of someof the dishes I inquired about the lamb dish served with cheese filled noodles.....the lamp was cooked for 18 hours....so it was shredded.....served in a broth....so the lamb, mushrooms, cheesed filled noodles,were all in a broth.....I think there was a hint of garlic and something green....parsely or spices???? The bottom line here....is that this dish, is one of the tastiest things that I have ever eaten in my life.... but as a true food critic, the edges of the noodles were a bit to al dente for me..but I would order this again and again and again.
The waiter three times replaces the bread baskets....which had a varied grouping of bread sticks, mini breads, crispy cruncy flat bread with black seeds, sweet roll and regular rolls. And they kep the water glasses filled.
The hamburgers came.... Extrememly thick, cooked perfectly...medium rare in the middle, criss crossed by crisp bacon, melted cheese and tomatoe.....The meat was great.....the roll a bit crisp....but the total hamburger....was delishious.....but the French fries....would have been better if they came from Wendys. They arent good at all....The total experience was very good...and I am sure it will be getting better. I saw the salad delivered to the next table and it was very large and fresh looking....
The total experience of a nice dinner with a loyal employee/friend made a miserable day memorable. EaCH DAY WE ALL NEED SOME HAPPYINESS or joy, positive feelings, nice words, a calming time...
If the day wasnt depressing enough....the least light, no busines, I got this email today from a very old friend...Maury:I just signed a contract w/ a company to cremate my remains, no matter where I am in the world, and send them wherever I want. The price will never go up, no matter how long it takes. So, now I can be a hot number forever. It may be only 1 of the very few national companies that do it. Many local companies do it, but they won't pick you up if you happen to be on a trip. Worthless! They'll cremate me wherever I am, and send my remains back. One less thing to leave for my nephews to do.

No comments: